A while ago I shared on Instagram that I wanted to start blogging my baking adventures but that was a big fail because I'm awful at blogging. Since this time last year I used heart shaped cookies (very poorly decorated might I add) is when I told Michael we we're going to have a baby, I wanted to make some again now that we have a cute little baby boy with us! This time I did a more simpler recipe since my hands are full taking care of our baby boy who is now 3.5 months!
The cookies I made last year. I used sprinkles and spelled out Dad, Mom, and B!
This recipe is my go to shortbread cookie that is SO easy. If you can't bake try this recipe. I made them into hearts which took extra work but these can simply be rolled into small balls. They are made of mostly butter so make sure you have a napkin while eating because they are very greasy!
*Photos are taken from my iphone so they are a little darker and grainier than my usual work
You can use any butter you'd like but I've only made them with Irish butter and it definitely creates a much sweeter and more rich flavor that I think is the best for making these cookies.
These cookies DO spread out (This was my first time making them flat instead of balls) so I didn't realize how much they spread out. I'd suggest making them thicker so they aren't so thin although it does make them extra crispy. Depending on how you like your cookies determines how long you should keep them in the oven. I like mine crispy so I keep them in the oven a little longer.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees
- Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla in mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add in flour and mix until combined.
- Place mixture in plastic wrap, flatten slightly, and place in fridge for one hour.
- Take dough out, roll out to a quarter inch.
- Use cookie cutter to create shapes for the cookies. Roll out extra dough again to make more molds.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, give or take on how you like your cookies.
Original recipe found here: http://cakescottage.com/2015/12/14/hersheys-secret-kisses-cookies/